Everybody loves the idea of abs. Whether you want a rocking 6-pack or just to lose some inches off your waist, we all love working our core. The midsection can be frustrating. While a lot of it comes down to how well you are eating, there are also some awesome exercises that really help engage the core!
Our Top 5 Core exercises
- V-Ups – This core exercise is great because it works your upper core and lower core.
Directions: Lay on your back, bring your upper body up simultaneously with your legs, meet your hands to your feet, come up onto your sit bones.
- Plank– Planks are a full body exercise but also a full core exercise. If done with proper form you will fully engage your core!
Directions: From lying on your stomach come up on your forearms and your feet. Make sure your wrist placement is aligned with your shoulders. Probably the most important part of this exercise is to make sure your butt is not too high or too low. Take the arch out of your lower back by doing a pelvic tilt. This will take any low pain back out and engage you lower core.
- Full Sit-Ups with Overhead Weight– This only really works your core and is much more of a challenge than just regular sit-ups.
Directions: Lay on your back, bend your knees, place your feet on the floor. Have a plate, dumbbell (hold long ways on either side), or a kettlebell. Keep your arms straight and up by your ears as you perform a full sit up.
- Side Plank Dips– This core exercise will really work your obliques. Working all the core muscles is important, don’t forget about the obliques!
Directions: Lay on your side. Come up on your one forearm and the sides of your feet. Make sure you shoulder and elbow are aligned. Lower you hip almost to the ground and raise your hip back up, repeat for reps.
- Stability Ball Transfers– Lay on your back. Squeeze a stability ball between your legs. Perform a leg raise while bringing your upper body up to grab the ball with your hands. Lay flat out again and repeat, this time transferring the ball from your hands to your feet.
Training your core can be challenging and frustrating. Try changing it up with these 5 core exercises! These will surely get your core sore. Know that you can do all these core exercises and they will help, but also try altering your diet. Diet is a very important aspect to your workout regimen. As always, if you have any questions, please contact us!
Written by Jacquelyn M